Thursday, September 6, 2012

Numbers and Jargon


            As much as I enjoy psychology and neuroscience and want to study them, they involve a lot of statistics. While I do value and try to understand statistics, countless research papers, journals, etc. have all too often contained far too many numbers, percentages, and other values that boggle my mind. Simply put, those kinds of values do very little to assist me in comprehending the topic I am currently studying/reading about, partially because they tend to take a long time to get to the point.
            I understand that these papers, journals, and other materials are written to appeal to the scientific community, but less scientific terminology-savvy people, including me (at least for now), don’t fully understand what the all the statistical jargons. To put it bluntly, my head often aches from trying to make sense of that stuff. While I will perhaps improve my comprehension of statistics with time and practice, I would prefer to study from and work with material that is not quite so keen on causing my brain to explode all over the place.
            This kid’s expression says it all:


No comments:

Post a Comment