Thursday, November 8, 2012

Erich Fromm: A Truly Incredible Philosopher


By far my favorite philosopher was the humanist and social psychologist Erich Fromm. Born in Germany, he fled once the Nazis took over, and traveled around the world throughout his life. Fromm emphasized that human beings were unique in that they were the only species that could interfere with their own growth. Therefore, they must always ensure that they change for the better.

He once stated: “I believe that none can ‘save’ his fellow man by making a choice for him. To help him, he can indicate the possible alternatives, with sincerity and love, without being sentimental and without illusion.

Fromm’s quote, and the man himself, represents where I want to go with my life. I understand today that humanity has the potential for so much better; we must evolve to use that potential if we want to survive and overcome our current problems.

I know, however, that I can’t change people. I can only change myself and provide some amount of guidance to others by showing them the way. It can be very difficult for me to remember this lesson, but I guess life is all about learning, isn’t it? In any case, I know I’m making progress, and I feel more at peace knowing that I have incredible men like Fromm, in their own ways, guiding me.


http://www.theglaringfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/erich-fromm.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment