Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Neuroeconomics: The Dictator Game


My favorite neuroeconomic game is The Dictator, which is essentially an allocation game. There are two players: the “dictator” and the “recipient”. At the beginning of every round, the “dictator” receives a certain amount of money. He/she has to decide how much money to give to himself/herself and how much to give to the “recipient”. The game continues for the number of rounds designated.
I really appreciate this game because it demonstrates how far people are willing to go to serve their own needs and how much they care about other people around them. Because it is a strong measure of human behavior and values, I think that an experiment revolving around The Dictator game would serve as an excellent reflection of the social and cultural environments and their influence on people’s behavior. I would like to see how people of different nations and cultures vary, if at all, in their behavior as the “dictator”.









http://upennsocialbook.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/dictator-game1.jpg

2 comments:

  1. You bring up a good point; given how much of an influence an individuals culture can have when they mentalize about other people, I imagine culture would have quite a dramatic effect on these economic games. Perhaps no only on the decisions made, but in the circuit activity which predicts the response.

    Perhaps the most interesting part of the experiment is how I can be extended on. The ingroup/outgroup dictator game involving the two painting groups is an example I find particularly interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your comment about how culture can impact decisions in the dictator game. I also think Joshua brought up a good point about ingroup/outgroup effects during this game. One of the things I want to discuss in my final paper is how ingroup/outgroup effects can change people's behavior in moral situations, and this type of economic game would certainly be a good way to test that.

    ReplyDelete